Motorcycle Diaries

Monday, March 13, 2006

13 March 2006 - Music and Riding

"What shall I listen to, today?", I am thinking, checking my pockets for keys, wallet, ID badge and mobile. It's 9:30 and I'm ready to leave for work. I browse through the Artists' list on my iPod. "Indian Ocean !, what else". I was playing it on the way to work last Friday and at a traffic signal I found a rider staring at me. Then I realised I was moving my head to the tune and singing along. I stopped suddenly and started staring at the timer next to the red light.

I put on "Ma Rewa". The rest would come shuffling after this. I like to play on shuffle all the time, and the uncertainity of what's going to play next. I had built up a huge cassette collection, between 2000 and 2002. When you get used to listening to cassette, you know exactly what's going to play next. I like the shuffle and uncertainity better.


The experiment

Three months back I didn't approve of the idea of listening to music while riding. I found it dangerous. "When you are listening to music, you are not attentive enough, to what's happening around.", I argued, tying to discourage my brother and friends. While riding in Bangalore you need eyes at the back of your head, rearviews are not enough.

Then one day I decided to experiment. My phone can hold about 10 songs. On my way back from work, I played CCR. Liked it. Didn't find any lack of attention. It was a normal ride and the 30 min ride didn't feel as painful as it did earlier. This continued off and on, CCR, The Who, Rare Earth, Nancy Sinatra.

One fine day I decided to change the genre. Judas Priest - Painkiller and Turbo. I almost hit a car and a bike, overtook at dangerous places. Basically, I was rash. I normally am, what you would call a 'Defensive Driver', looking at rear view 30% of the time. So Metal changed me. On the way back I wanted to try the other end of the spectrum. Charlie Parker. It took me 45 mins to reach home, normally it takes 30.

Indian Ocean

Last week I realised I didn't have Indian Ocean on my iPod, ripped the Kandisa and Black Friday and transfered to iPod. I played it on my way to work last Friday.

Normally I get very irritated at the people coming in the wrong direction on the road and those who suddenly enter into the main road without looking. At times I shout at them, and if I'm in a bad mood, even make sure they get a dent or a scratch. On Friday I found myself slowing down for them and letting them go. "Hille Le" was playing. I unconsciously became more forgiving. At junction, there was a messy jam. It's quite common at that junction in the morning rush hour. I peacefully waited till I could inch to one of the side streets and took a detour, slightly longer way, but better than waiting for the jam to clear.

So, I play "Ma Rewa" and I'm off. I am not affected by the rush everyone else is in. I ride at my own sweet pace, singing along, shaking the head to the tune. "Kaun", "Kandisa", "Bharam Bhaap ke", "Kya Maloom", "Bande" , the shuffle is on. The Sumos and Qualises in the rearview don't look all that scary. I don't feel like returning the favour to the driver who honked at me for no reason. Never happened with any of the other songs.

I intend to continue the experiment. But there's a catch, I'm the only subject, and I'm aware of the experiment. So I'll have to wait untill I forget about the experiment, to observe myself. Complicated ! But music goes with riding, I was wrong earlier. Just need to make sure I don't close my eyes when I get soaked in the music, which I normally do, not while riding.

3 Comments:

  • Nice experiment. But as you said music (esp with headphones) while biking is considered to be dangerous and its even banned in some states in the US (Georgia and Massachusetts , probably for safety reasons), so take care so that your blog posts keep coming !

    By Blogger Vinit, at 9:46 PM  

  • Even i agree...music during driving is dangerous...avoid it!!

    By Blogger kosha, at 10:38 PM  

  • Ripple !!! You have mastered one of the greatest secrets of life. Lovely to read this post. Keep it up buddy...I did not know that you have such a lucid expression. Cheers, P

    By Blogger Amit Pathak, at 2:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home